History

MD Imaging’s legacy began in 1951 when George Martin, MD, opened the area’s first radiology practice at the corner of Market and Tehama Streets in downtown Redding, California, in the Guibbani Building (today known as Sherven Square). Dr. Martin soon partnered with other radiologists and renamed the office Redding Radiological Associates. From our humble beginning 65 years ago in an office above a drugstore, to a total renovation and name change in 1994 to MD Imaging, Inc., we are today the trusted radiologic leader in the area, with imaging services on Court Street and vascular and interventional services on Edith Avenue.
Striving to offer the most complete diagnostic services, we have brought many “firsts” into the area, such as nuclear medicine and positron emission topography (PET), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and MammoTest II non-surgical breast biopsy. Rooted in community, our history demonstrates continual advancement in meeting the growing needs of our patients and referring physicians.

Celebrating 65 years of diagnostic excellence.

A Walk Through Time

1951


Dr. George Martin opens a radiology practice at the corner of Market and Tehama Streets. The practice is eventually renamed Redding Radiological Associates, which is today MD Imaging.

1965


Realizing the many benefits of nuclear medicine, MD Imaging becomes the first to introduce the specialty to Northern California.

1987


Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is added to MD Imaging’s service offerings, offering the first of this advanced diagnostic service north of Sacramento. Today, MD Imaging offers 4 MRI suites, including conventional, short-bore, 3 Tesla (3T), and Open MRI.

1987


Understanding the diagnostic needs unique to women, MD Imaging opens a Women’s Imaging Center within the Court Street location. MD Imaging offers the gold standard in breast imaging and digital mammography, coupled with a computer-aided detection program called Second Look.

1990


MD Imaging becomes the first center north of Sacramento, and one of only 12 sites in the U.S., to offer MammoTest II non-surgical breast biopsy.

1996


Redding Radiological Associates merges with Shasta Diagnostic Imaging to form MD Imaging.

2001


MD Imaging becomes the first imaging center north of Sacramento to offer positron emission tomography (PET).

2003


MD Imaging installs an OpenSpeed MRI, offering the only MRI of its kind north of Sacramento.

2003


The Northern California Vascular & Interventional Center opens on Edith Avenue, offering outpatient preventative and aesthetic procedures to support healthier living.

2013


Meeting the need for the earliest possible breast cancer diagnostic screening, MD Imaging installs 3D Mammography equipment, offering patients the first service of its kind in the North State.

2016


MD Imaging Celebrates 65 Years of Service

2016


Offering reduced radiation, improved comfort, and capability to hold a patient up to 660 lbs, MD Imaging installs the Toshiba Aquilion Prime 160 Slice CT Machine, becoming the first center in the area to offer this level of technology.

2016


MD Imaging installs several Toshiba Aplio 500 Platinum Series Ultrasound Machines, becoming the first center in the area to offer such advanced ultrasound image quality.